Homemade vegie sausage rolls
Posted by Katie Brown, 30-Mar-2022
I’ve never enjoyed shop-bought sausage rolls, but I love these “healthier” versions of the popular snack. It’s the perfect food for cool Autumnal evenings…
- 400g – 500g of TVP (textured vegetable protein) (if using 500g you will definitely need 3 sheets of puff pastry!) you can also use turkey mince
- 2 -3 tbs tomato paste
- Splash of Worcester sauce
- 1 egg
- I large carrot
- 1 bunch of coriander
- 2 x tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- Salt and pepper
- Turn on the oven to preheat at 200 C
- Take two sheets of puff pastry out of the freezer (if you are adding a lot of veggies you may need three sheets).
- Wash and then roughly chop a carrot and then either finely chop or put into a Thermomix or high speed blender at speed 7 for 10 seconds
- Wash then then finely chop a bunch of coriander
- Add the TVP to a large mixing bowl, then add carrot, coriander, tomato paste, chia seeds and egg until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the pastry sheets in half and then spoon the sausage mix into the pastry
- Brush the finished sausage rolls with milk
- Cook for 20 minutes or until golden
- Allow to cool, then cut up and serve with a big dollop of tomato sauce!
- Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Don’t forget to try Natalie’s savoury treat Zucchini Polenta Cheese Muffins