Hearty Adzuki and Vegie Soup
Posted by Katie Brown, 07-Jul-2020
One of the fabulous things about winter is cooking up a nourishing soup – here is one of Patricia Wigley’s Ayurvedic-inspired recipes to enjoy.
- 1 cup adzuki beans
- 1 cup rice or spelt pasta
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 knob ginger finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- Pinch asafoetida (hing), Black pepper, rock or sea salt
- 1tsp each turmeric, coriander, mustard seeds
- 1 carrot
- Handful beans
- 1 stick celery
- 1 small or 1 cup of sweet potato
- Small head broccoli
- 1 tbsp olive oil 6-8 cups water .
- Saute onion, ginger, garlic , mustard seeds in olive oil 1-2 minutes.
- Add adzuki beans, turmeric, asafoetida, chopped veggies and stir to coat.
- Add water, pepper, salt, coriander and bring to boil.
- Stir and reduce to simmer for 1 hour.
- Add rice and continue to simmer another 30 minutes or pasta for another 10 minutes.