Build a bowl
Posted by Katie Brown, 12-Aug-2020
Bowls are IN – and somehow (not sure why!) but there is something more appealing about healthy food in a bowl than on a plate 🙂
And the great thing about bowls is that as long as there is variety – and colour – you can vary the theme each time, so it never gets boring! You can use any grain as a base, plenty of herbs, throw in a few beans and pop a poached egg on top for extra protein.
- 2 cups of tri-colour quinoa
- 1 cup of frozen peas (this ratio of quinoa and peas will make enough for around 4 bowls)
- Spring of mint leaves
- 1 block of halloumi cheese
- 1 avocado
- 1 egg – for topping
- Slice of lemon to garnish
- Bring 2.5 cups of water to the boil in a saucepan, then add the 2 cups of quinoa, cover the pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- After 5 minutes add the peas to the quinoa
- While the quinoa is cooking slice halloumi and fry until golden on both sides.
- Chops the mint and smash the avocado
- Poach the egg
- Drain the quinoa and peas.
Then have fun building your bowl! You can also add sauerkraut, vegies and herbs to taste – enjoy!