A History of Yoga
CPD Points: 3
When: 2.00pm - 5.00pm, Sunday, 14 Aug 2022
Where: Online - Zoom
It is an understatement to say that the history of yoga is long, complex, and often unreliable. The antiquity, the lack of documentation, bias, and not letting the facts get in the way of a good story have all played a part in this being the case.
In this workshop, you will need to look down on this topic from a fairly high height as David transports you back 40 to 50 million years ago when a piece of Gondwana crashed into the Eurasian plate and started pushing up the Himalayas.
- Dispelling some of the myths concerning Indian and yogic history.
- An appreciation of the antiquity of yoga’s roots.
- An appreciation of the sophistication of Indian spiritual matters.
- An expanded understanding of the people and the land from which this history has emerged.
- A richer understanding of the profound influence the societies have had on the land.
This workshop will be recorded.
Principal Presenter: David Burgess
David has many decades of yogic practice, yogic lifestyle, and teaching experience behind him. Along with lecturing on Pranayama & Meditation for IYTA, he has a broad knowledge of the history and philosophy of yoga and has been a major contributor to yoga teacher training within and beyond Australia. He is a Life member of IYTA.